About Kids First
The Child Advocacy Center is Committed to:
- Reducing the trauma experienced by children who have been abused.
- Providing a child-friendly, safe environment where a child’s voice is heard and respected.
- Coordinating sexual assault medical examinations and treatment.
- Holding offenders accountable.
- Supporting the state-mandated Child Protective Investigative Team as it investigates all reported cased of severe child abuse.
- Creating programs and community education focused on prevention and early intervention of child abuse.
- Empowering non-offending parents to protect their children.
The Mission of The Center:
- To heal the pain of child abuse.
Child Advocacy Center Facts
The Area Served:
- The geographical area covers 1307 square miles, basically rural area.
- The population of the four counties is 121,839 (2000 Census).
- 22% of the population is under the age of 18.
- Three of the Four counties served have a poverty level that is higher than the state average.
- Roane County: 15% of population lives in poverty.
- Meigs and Morgan Counties: 19% of the population of each county lives in poverty.
NOTE: Links between poverty and child abuse, particularly physical abuse, is well documented by research.
In 2009 Child Advocacy Centers in Tennessee:
- Provided services to 18,475 children
- Forensic Interviewers conducted 6,277 child interviews.
- Of these new victims 11,295 were female and 6,942 were male.
- 13,439 of the victims were under the age of 12 years.
- Of the new victims, 11,500 of the children were sexual abuse victims, while 2,388 were victims of physical abuse.
- 8,444 of these victims were abused by their parent/stepparent or relative.
**31 centers reporting
Our Mission is TO HEAL THE PAIN OF CHILD ABUSE.